Don't think this release has been mentioned yet

There's currently available (and probably better known) compilation call
"The World of Arthur Russell" on Soul Jazz
but my I suggest "Calling Out of Context" on Audika Records
(www.audikarecords.com)

it doesn't have the big disco cuts like "Is it All Over My Face" or "Go
Bang!" (which he did under the name Dinosaur L)

Calling out of Context is an album made up of two recordings -
a test-pressing of an album that was supposed to be called "Corn"
and an album that was supposed to be made for Rough Trade in the late 80's
- early 90's.

This has some really brilliant lyric writing and some serious funk
which might seem strange coming from a cello, synth, guitar, and drums
oh yeah, and trombone

it's a nice cross of funk, disco, and pop immersed in a world of dub

kind of like Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club, etc. except more minimal and
experimental

except I think these tunes have worn better - they're almost timeless
really (probably since they haven't been heard a thousand times before)

*highly* suggest it for anyone into stuff like Daniel Wang, Morgan Geist,
early NY disco/rock scene

cool thing is - it could have been made yesterday - or tomorrow for that
matter

MEK