Is this the same Carl Craig and Kevin Saunderson I know?...  Didn't Kevin
Saunderson get his start playing fraternity parties?    And Saunderson is
definitely a "party DJ," his productions are often party type tunes as well.
I'm not demeaning this, I just mean, the records are meant to function on the
dancefloor, to get booties shaking out there.  Not necessarily for people to
sit and stroke their chins and go "wow that's so far out" - at least, such
records would be in the minority.  I do think Carl Craig plays to the crowd and
the party too, sure he does it in his unique way, but I highly doubt it is the
no compromise thing you imagine.  American music just isn't purist like that.
It's not considered some kind of "high art" here.  Somebody like Carl Craig
does projects that are more and less commercial, more or less danceable, from
Designer Music or remixing Tori Amos to Innerzone which would be a more
artistic less commercial type project.  And didn't people just mention that CC
is playing a Beyonce track, can't get much more mainstream than that.

I think your idealism ignores the reality the DJing, on the level you are
speaking of, is a business and DJs are hired to entertain crowds.  I don't know
what you mean by student gigs but I don't see what Gloria Gayner has to do with
anything.

I would also say, most up-and-coming DJs in the US often have to pay dues when
they get started and play all kinds of house parties, stuff with their friends,
etc., where people did not come to hear techno.  Yeah maybe it is different
when they get to be superstars over there in Europe and people are booking them
hoping to hear a style they are known for.  In fact, there might be a cultural
difference in this between Europe and the US.  In mmany/most places in the US
if you want to DJ at all, you better be able to make an average person who
doesn't know s**t about good house/techno be able to dance or have a good time
with the music you play.  Or else you play at a super underground party, but
there are probably only 15 people there, so while it has its place it won't pay
any bills.

I think a good DJ has a good give/take, they can draw the crowd in without
pandering or just making things into a cheesefest.  Detroit techno was never
this super-artistic style that some people make it out to be.  I mean take Jeff
Mills (sorry Yussel, but it's a good example in this case), sure he presents
himself as doing this conceptual art thing now, but THE WIZARD was not some
conceptual art project, it was the hits of the day played in a super-funky,
outrageous style - in other words, party music!

~David