Well, they would say that wouldn't they - they're trying to make money
out of it.

Recently, Musical Fidelity did a recording of the same concert on three
formats - analogue, digital and DSD for putting onto vinyl, cd and sacd.
The results were interesting.  SACD was only slightly better than CD,
where as the best by a long shot was vinyl which was found to be quite
erry in it's life likeness.

The quote from the results was something like "If you prefer digital,
then quite frankly you're deaf".

I've listened to some SACD and a DVD-A players and they come no where
near that to my AVID turntable (which isn't yet upgraded to what it
could be) playing decent vinyl recordings.  Funny really, that such an
old and supposidly primitive method of music reproduction still sounds
so much better!

SACD is hardly the latest up and coming breakthough either.  It's been
out for ages and is thoughly struggling to capture the attention of the
mass public.  Truth is, few people really cares about sound quality.
That's why Dixons can sell silly midi systems, or Mp3 has become so
popular.  Convience is everything to most people.