Not sure if this has been mentioned, (I'm sure it has somewhere) as I've been
off the list for some time and have only just resubscribed, but Mills was
awesome at Sonar. Not perhaps particularly from a musical perspective, but in a
visual sense.

I'm not sure how to articulate it properly, but there was a sense of him being
a "popstar" - the dry ice, the lighting etc - at one point I almost expected
him to materialise Star Trek-like behind the decks. There's an aspect of the
popstar thing that, if done properly, takes it to the next level. It was
glamorous, professional and v.exciting. I'd be the first to admit that the
music wasn't of the futuristic calibre that we might expect of some other DJs
out there, but to do that sort of thing with the VJ visuals, 3 decks, and yet
retain the sound of futuristic minimal techno to a crowd of probably 20,000 of
more without resorting to anthemic crowdpleasers (The Bells, The Robots and I
feel Love aside) remains breathtaking.

People may berate Mills for many of these things, like his reported prima donna
tendencies and vast fees, but when you do it on the big stage like that, then
those are but small quibbles.

Toby

www.bleep43.com