perhaps you should not say "when I played to a crowd", and you should
instead say "when played to a crowd of ____ it was accepted openly".

I can see the line that they don't want to cross.  If they allowed reviews
like that, they'd have every bedroom dj in teh world sliding in quips
about how good a record is when THEY play it, etc.  If it's really not
about the fact that you played it, then you'll have no problem changing
the words around to make it generic. :D

dense