I'm sooooo on topic.
Here's an August Darnell interview my mate did.
sure he wont mind us posting it here.
first appeared in citylife.

When Kid Creole pulls up to the kerb, where I'm standing alongside Bongo
Eddie - the Kid's percussionist for the last 20 odd years - and Mark, an
affable Scouse musician, I am left startled and speechless. Not merely
because I'm a huge fan of the singer who stormed the UK top 10 in the '80s
with hits like 'Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy', 'Stool Pigeon' and 'I'm a
Wonderful Thing, Baby'. No, I'm more surprised that Kid Creole has arrived
in a small, grey family hatchback. I'd envisaged a multi-coloured
procession of carnival floats, complete with steel band and dancing girls.
But despite the fact that the Kid is just as familiar with these monochrome
Mancunian back alleys, the exotic, rainbow flecked world I imagined he
inhabited does exist. It surrounds Kid Creole like a bubble and, for one
day only, I was to join him there.
"Have you ever interviewed a mega star before?" the Kid asks without irony,
as we find a sofa in the basement of Deansgate Locks bar, Fat Cat's.
Doubting that the names Fred Dibnah or Peter Kay would mean anything to the
well-travelled Kid, I offer club scene perennials Timmy Regisford and Louie
Vega in the hope that the names of these fellow New Yorkers will strike a
chord with him. "Lou Bega?" he spits. "He stole my act!", pretending to
mistake the Masters At Work producer for the one hit wonder responsible for
the Latin infused 'Mambo No. 5' a few summers ago. Ever since the release
of the eponymous debut album by Kid and brother Stony Browder's group, Dr.
Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, Kid Creole has found himself spotlighted
and centre stage, adored by thousands of fans across the globe.
"It was the gay clubs that made the Savannah Band," he explains by way of
an introduction. "It was the height of the disco era, and back then the
fate of a record was determined in the clubs. For some reason the gays
latched on to us; the way we looked, the whole concept. Every gay club in
America was playing 'Cherchez La Femme'." This single typified the sound of
the Savannah Band's debut album, combining '40s style big band swing with
jungle, passion drums and dense string and horn arrangements. It stormed
the US charts and became a hit here in the North West at clubs like
Blackpool's Mecca. Its bold cross-fertilisation of musical styles and
almost show-tune styling marked it as a true original and set the template
for the Kid's solo career.
"I grew to love that lifestyle," admits the Kid, "playing the gigs, the
applause, the gratification. I think in the beginning all heterosexual guys
are attracted to the music business as a way of getting girls." After what
the Kid describes as a "sibling rivalry" split within Savannah, Kid took a
break to pen landmark disco hits 'There But For the Grace of God' for
Machine, 'Native New Yorker' for Odyssey and became in-house producer at
legendary leftfield New York disco label Ze. It was here that the artist we
know as Kid Creole was truly born.
"Early Kid Creole was a love affair with the Caribbean; the music that came
out of the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Puerto Rico and Jamaica. I guess my
wizardry was combining the Caribbean flavour with a western type structure.
It was a weird marriage, but it worked for us."
When since have you ever known a 'straight' pop act infuse their music with
such exotic styling and be embraced by the public at large? However, this
wasn't the Kid's only selling point. "I'm a satirist, if nothing else," he
tells me. 'And I'm telling it to your face, so you don't have to hear it
another place,' goes the song. 'Break it to me gently now, just remember
I'm a child,' respond the Coconuts. 'Oh, Annie, I'm not your Daddy /
Because if I was in your blood, then you wouldn't be so ugly.' Harsh but
hilarious words. And considering that the Kid has managed to father some
seven children in his 50-plus years on the planet, an altogether reasonable
dialogue for him to be involved in. Then there was the image. "In the
beginning it was just an alter ego," he says of his flamboyantly dressed
stage persona, who was regularly ridiculed and lampooned on stage by the
Coconuts and sidekick Andy 'Coati Mundi' Hernandez. "But now it really
isn't marketing anymore. It's so much a part of what I am that I couldn't
really think of myself as anything else."
Later that afternoon as we emerge from Fat Cat to pick up Bongo Eddie and
Mark's van, it seems every face on Deansgate Locks stops and stares at the
Zoot-suited Creole and his accomplices. "Did you record 'Stool Pigeon'?"
shouts a woman taking a fag break across the road. "A long, long time ago!"
shouts back the Kid, smiling. The woman turns back to her friends and says,
"I told you it was Kid Creole". Everybody recognises the Kid. He knows it.
And he loves it.
The Kid has arranged for Mark and Bongo Eddie to be the entertainment at
the opening of a bar near Sheffield belonging to one of his former wives.
However, in the revelry that was lunch, Mark has lost the keys to the van
and we are fast running out of time to find them. When the keys are
eventually found, there's no time left to finish the interview. "You'll
just have to come with us," says Mark, and so I find myself on the motorway
to a village called Eckington, a VIP journey to the grand opening of Dr.
Buzzard's Original Savannah Bar with Kid Creole himself. He turns out to be
a good driver, although the journey is made slightly hairy by several other
drivers losing concentration on the road as we pass them.
"A lot of reviews said it was because we brought that tropical flavour to
drab environments," says the Kid, when I ask him why he thought the band
exploded in Europe. "They said it was like a dose of sunshine." By the time
his second album hit the charts, Kid Creole and the Coconuts were touring
300 days out of the year. Prince wrote songs for him. Barry Manilow
instigated a duet with him and the band appeared in countless films
including Granada TV special There's Something Wrong in Paradise. But after
unsuccessful attempts to reproduce the success of his early albums - which
the Kid puts down to insufficient marketing and the worldwide music
industry slump - he now finds himself releasing his material on his own
Rainyville Records. Not that the Kid is anything but optimistic. He, and
presumably his seven children, earn a good living from royalties. Kid
Creole and the Coconuts have spent the last decade touring corporate
parties and conferences, and whilst it may not be the Kid's ideal audience,
he remains thankful that he remains in showbusiness.
"I know a lot of artists in my shoes who do feel despondent, but there are
so many youngsters coming up now, including my children, who want their
share of the party. There's no way you can dominate the music for more than
ten years. Everyone has, as Andy Warhol says, their 15 minutes of fame."
But the Kid's not kidding anyone. He lives to entertain. This Saturday he
returns to the stage alongside the likes of Chic, Rose Royce, Tavares,
Shalamar, Hot Chocolate and Alexander O'Neal as part of The Best Disco in
Town party at the MEN Arena. Sure to be in the crowd on the night are Lorne
Ashley and Dario, the Kid's Manchester dwelling, heavy rock loving sons,
whom he lived with for several years in Urmston. In December, he revisits
The Opera House in the '70s themed stage-show Oh, What a Night. "It was
supposed to be a summer run in Blackpool in 1997, but it was so well
received that we've ended up doing over 1000 performances!"
And the future's sure to be equally bright: "You know, I've discussed with
Bongo Eddie what we'd like to do with the last decade of this musical
thing, and we laugh about it. We both want that one last swan song; one big
album and one final headline tour before we can actually smile and say, we
did it all." Here's hoping?

Kid Creole performs as part of the The Best Disco In Town Party this
Saturday 11 October, MEN Arena.

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems. By replying to this e-mail you
give your consent to such monitoring