I first heard house/techno in sydney in the 80s.  found out it came from
the US and moved to new york in 92. best thing i ever did - the music,
clubs, djs, friends (and the pizza slice) changed my life.
walking back over the brooklyn bridge with a group of like minded friends
as the sun rises after dancing all night to juan atkins and carl craig or
hearing inner city play 'pennies from heaven' as i danced in hart plaza,
dancing with my girlfriend margie (and otto!) to larry heard playing 'play
it loud' in detroit,  djing at a loft party in brooklyn while the crowd
bugged out and  a meteor shower rained overhead - i didn't even dare dream
of such things when i first fell in love with dance music.

my advice - rob a bank or steal from your grandmother and move out of
whatever parochial back wood city or town you're in. if you love this sh*t
follow your heart. move to where the music is, to where there is a large
group of people who feel the same way as you. everything else is babylon.
james
www.jbucknell.com

             "Redmond,
             Ja'Maul"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             erkinswill.com>           <313@hyperreal.org>
                                                                        cc
             05/08/04 02:38 PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: (313) Techno Geography

 I'm in NC like JT, and I don't think things (techno related) can get
any worse anywhere else. But When I think about moving to a better place
I automatically think of the addage that people make a place (city) the
city doesn't make a person. Well maybe New York Does.

But to be honest I would be faced with the same situations ANYWHERE that
I am faced with here. I may get more bookings in Germany or Detroit or
somewhere in Europe, but would I get enough to support my life??? And if
I did would I actually enjoy it? What's holding me back has nothing to
do with where I am. I'M holding myself back. I'M the one that can't
decide whether I really want to play out in a smoky cub 4 nights a week.
I'm the one that has to decide whether I would be happy with less money
than what I make at my 9 to 5. To make a long story short neither Berlin
or Detroit would make those decisions easier.

If you want to make a change then change yourself and then move.