oops, turns out i let a naughty word slip. maybe that's why it wasn't
going through.

here's the post i was looking for

---------------------------------------

interesting point chad (and how long have you been lurking around here)
i think the difference is that since the day of our parents/teachers
whatever, the hipster profile has come to represent someone who the masses
look towards to signal the next cultural movement (ie-
tastemakers/trendsetters, blah, blah).

what this has meant is that those who seek out the new (in
music/clothing/art) have the additional baggage of being looked upon by
the mass consumers, whetheer they like it or not. Another natural reflex
to this trend is that others, wishing to distance themselves from the
'hype' device that hipster culture has become (intentionally or not), is
to be completely reactionary and retreat into the nostalgic.

For this particular argument- some people on this list are inherently
seekers of the new. The hipster tag is just an accidental stamp that comes
with such behavior in these hyper marketed times. but make no mistake that
myself, derek, atom and plenty of other people here get excited when they
hear/see/experience something new and are always enthusiastic to talk
about it. The fact that pehaps 25% of these things become SLIGHTLY more
popular is a natural thing. Now, of course, the other half are those who
see this music and this list as an institutionalized form, to be studied
strictly in the context of the past and herished and protected from
outside taint.

Or heres yet a more frank way of looking at it. I AM a tastemaker and a
professional pushing the music I love. As is Plaslaiko, and Martin Dust
and many many others here. But some here continually rallied around your
obscure little world and keep drawing in the wagons closer. But maybe
that's because you don't have the passion, skill, charisma, savvy and
energy to take it to the next level.

and one more thing. don't think for a second that UR wasn't 'hipster'
techno when it first hit the streets and changed the music. Anything new
will start as 'hipster' before becoming mass (in the small techno sense of
course) and finally institutionalized.