>> How many of you actually use samples in your music. I'm just curious.

EVERY sound I use in my productions is a sample! I mostly sample single
notes from soul/funk/disco/jazz/krautrock/postpunk records. I am now making
a record with an organ key of a herbie hancock song, a clap from "body
music" by the strikers, a kick from an old disco record, another organ from
a lonnie liston smith recording, a shaker from a marvin gaye record (I
think), a drumloop (wich I cut up entirely) from a donald byrd recording,
etc...

Ofcourse, I donĀ“t have to clear anything because any of those samples is
unrecognizable, because they are mostly single notes. And if they would
bring me to court, I will kill the one who brought me there. I am not
joking...

Cheers,
Maarten