Is that the June 1984 one? I've got that book which has a big selection of
Face articles on clubbing and dance music culture, and it includes a big
electro article from 1984 by David Toop and Paul Rambali - I'm guessing
you've got the original issue?

"Competition is fierce, reputations are waiting to be made or lost. The
threat of 'pirates' or 'biters'... is always present."

That book also has a fairly funny article about house, where a Face
journalist, Sheryl Garratt, goes to visit Chicago and hangs around with
Chip-E, Ron Hardy, Marshall Jefferson, Frankie Knuckles and co in 1986. She
asks the question, "what is house music?", and all hell breaks loose...

"House music? I couldn't even begin to tell you what house is. You have to
go to the clubs and see how people react when they hear it. It's more like a
feeling that runs through, like old-time religion in the way that people
jus' get happy and screamin'. It's happening! It's... house!"
"Let me see if I can put it better. It's more like eighties disco songs in
eighties style."
"It's Chicago's own sound."
"'cept it came from New York, and they don't know it."
"It's rock til you drop, that's what it is!"
"It's a status symbol to party all night at the Music Box. Everybody goes
there - all the hippest kids in the city!"
"You'll leave there a changed person. You might go and seek religion
afterwards!"

She ends up being impressed by the enthusiasm of the house scene's
advocates, but not by the music. She describes "Awww Shucks" by saying "it
was made cheaply and somehow sounds even cheaper. But that, everyone tells
me, is part of the appeal."

This 1986 article on house ends with the journalist asking Chip-E how long
they can keep doing it (house) before people get bored. He turns to her with
a grin and says "about twenty years"...

Brendan