I agree 99% with everything you said,,:) The only thing that I beg to
differ with is that there's no one to blame.

I believe the gluten of those easily produced copy-cat records were the
cause. I too enjoyed techstep when it first came out, But I also
remember that, once upon a time, it used to be the smallest selection in
the records stores. The sub-genre used to only included the top notch
producers in d-n-b. With the ease of sample based sequencer software and
hordes of "TECHSTEP" samples being available, every below average djing
crew in America started releasing records. Then the upper-class but
angry youth of EDM finally had a music they can relate to, something
they can be aggressive to, something they can bob their head and flaunt
their masculinity to, Something they can finally flaunt there hip-hop
posing to. And most importantly something they themselves can go home
and produce without having to think too much. With all of that, we get
the epidemic of the all night long tech-step parties.

I stopped listening to dnb and thought artist like 4 hero and Photek
with their more minimal style of production were a closer tie to Detroit
techno. Besides both of those artist state D-town as an influence.

But Then 4 hero evolved and started doing more abstract jazz and R&B and
Photek, for whatever reason, gave up the fight and started producing the
very same tech-step that he spoke out against in the late 90's. Go
figure.

Ja'Maul Redmond
1100 S. Tryon St. Suite 300, Charlotte, NC 28203
t: 704.343.9900 f:704.343.9999 www.perkinswill.com

Perkins+Will. Ideas + buildings that honor the broader goals of society