I think I'm the opposite of some people here today in that I only
*disliked* one track off the comp!

It's all a matter of taste and opinion of course but to me all the
tracks are well-crafted and some I found almost breathtaking - like
'Butterfly' by Malik Alston.

All in all, imo, Detroit Beat Down was a good marker for that style of
jazzy, subdued Detroit-influenced house.

Perhaps it's not particularly forward-looking, or overtly electronic,
but that in itself does not subtract from the quality and strength of
most of the music on the comp to me.

The track I disliked was Norm Talley's 'Exodus'. There you go, totally
subjective!

(By the way, the Malik Alston track taught me to recognize his unique
improvisational piano style on virtually any track he plays on, even if
he isn't credited. Check out the Cool Peepl mix of 'Shari Vari' for
instance.)