not exactly the same- but this is close...

Imagine your the promoter for the biggest nightclub in the city. Now
imagine that on a particular night, your headline DJ, who had asked to
play from open to close, calls to tell you he's going to be an hour late.
No big deal you say, since no one is ever there for the first hour. In
fact, you don't even want to bother finding an opening dj since you know
it will be that slow, and instead you and your partner (neither of whom
can dj) decide to just play some chill records for the first little bit.

So, come opening time, the two of you begin playing some odd minimal slow
bleep stuff, fading out one while the next fades in. YOu haven't had time
to go home and get your records, so you're just randomly picking from the
handfull your partner had in his car. This goes fine for about 30 minutes,
then 45 minutes, then an hour, then an hour 15...

crap didn't the DJ say he would only be an hour late?

now people are starting to filter in. They fill up the seats around the
dancefloor first, before slowly beginning to stand in groups facing in
your direction. you can tell people are starting to get antsy, so you
speed up the tempo a hair and try to perform a mix... failure!

your partner decides he better run down stairs and start calliing real djs
as the crowd is starting to boo and and occasionally yell things. Alone,
with a pile of records you don't know and no dicernable dj skills, you
begin to panic. You grab a copy of Speedy J's Public Energy #1 and put on
"As the Bubble Expands." As it's grating tabla screech fills the room, you
see some of your customers beeline for the door. Others are now openly
hostile and yelling obcenities. Your partner comes running into the booth,
yelling at you to "play something dancable stupid!"

you reply that these are all his records, and "there is nothing dancable,
stupid!"

several tense minutes later, the headlining DJ shows up, only two hours
late. YOu breath a sigh of relief as he walks into the booth. You fade out
one last records and fade in the next, trying to act like everything is
under control. He leans over and asks...

"What's up with the sound system tonight?"

You reply, "I dunno, does it sound bad?"

At that point, the DJ reaches past you to the mixer (a Pioneer DJM-900)
and hits off the blinking effects button in the lower right hand corner.
How long has that been on? An hour? Two hours? Wow- now you can actually
start to hear the music. You decide it;s time to leave things to the
professionals, slink quietly out the back door and go get plastered at the
bar down the street.