I think I am probably one of the main culprits here but I always think my
things are somehow relevant. ;)
Seriously though many of the DJ/producers listen to (and are so influenced
by) a very wide band of music, so it's hard to delineate.
This soundtrack topic has been inspired by an excellent Q&A session with
Jeff Mills for Three Ages (which I still need to summarise when I can here!)
and an excellent interview with Philip Glass on soundtracks in the new ABC
magazine Limelight (Aussies should check) which raised some similar issues.
One thing I may have mentioned is that before Metropolis Mills recorded a
soundtrack of his own for Bladerunner which remains in the Axis vaults but
would be fascinating to hear I think.
Also he has made a record called The Healing Channel which was inspired by a
TV channel in Japan and is calming music. Some may recall many years ago
Mike Banks talking of frequencies and their effect on the brain (I can't
recall where I read this) and it's something that Mills seems to be
exploring with this project. He has played it in a spa to text its affect.
I posted my last Mills interview on www.inthemix.com.au if anyone wants to
know more about Three Ages (this story was done before I saw the project).