found an interesting interview with Brian Eno and found this part of
particular interest:

MUSICIAN: Why are the ideas of newness and innovation so valued in art?

ENO: They're overvalued really. Or, I should say that they're valued to the
point where they become a target for people to aim at and that's a
self-defeating proposal. It's like calling someone up and saying, "Look,
next Friday we're going to get together and have a really interesting
conversation. Really brilliant now, we're going to think some really new
things!" Then you call a few days later and say, "Don't forget Friday, this
conversation is going to be really interesting." You build this up and by
the time Friday comes of course you're tongue tied because you daren't say
anything that's clumsy or familiar. You daren't do any of the things that
are likely to open you up into a new area. New ideas are nearly always
slight shifts of things that are already very familiar to you.

MUSICIAN: Then the reverence for originality is the very thing that
prohibits its surfacing too frequently?

ENO: Definitely. One of the things that's interesting about nearly all
ethnic music is that it doesn't have that idea. In reggae you hear the same
riffs year after year in a shifting context. The idea there is to use a
thing for as long as it still means something. The idea in the fine art
culture is to drop something as soon as you can no longer claim it as only
yours. As soon as other people are onto it you have to drop it and go
elsewhere--and that's such a stupidly childish attitude.

MEK