I think Eno's point was just that "new" does not NECESSITATE "interesting" - that is, he's suggesting that simply creating original work does not automatically assure that it is work of value/quality.

--
Dennis DeSantis
www.dennisdesantis.com

Philip wrote:
What a load of crap. Actually doing something new and interesting is not the
same thing as just saying you are going to. And lots of people who really do
original & interesting work might not be doing it just to be new or
whatever, they are just expressing their individuality and their unique take
or art, music, whatever. Brian just sounds like an out of touch bored
whinger. Who needs it.

ENO: They're overvalued really. Or, I should say that they're valued to the

point where >they become a target for people to aim at and that's a
self-defeating proposal. It's like >calling someone up and saying, "Look,
next Friday we're going to get together and >have a really interesting
conversation. Really brilliant now, we're going to think some >really new
things!" Then you call a few days later and say, "Don't forget Friday, this

conversation is going to be really interesting." You build this up and by

the time Friday >comes of course you're tongue tied because you daren't say
anything that's clumsy or >familiar. You daren't do any of the things that
are likely to open you up into a new >area. New ideas are nearly always
slight shifts of things that are already very familiar >to you.