It has its merits. I wondered if it had been distributed os.
I did a story on it while it was filming and spent a day on the set. I also
attended one of the parties they held to shoot club scenes.
It was cool! I had no idea it took so long to shoot films, well, I did, but
you have to experience it to really understand. It was draining just
watching. I was happy to tuck into the catering as I was saving for a
Detroit trip at the time and broke. ;)
They had stunt people in for a scene which depicted a scruffle on a
dancefloor - stuntmen!!! I guess litigation costs are high but it was not
exactly a John Woo scene! The young lead Daniel Spielman is v talented and
could go all the way so look out for him. He was really nice and I spent an
hour interviewing him.
The unit publicist had worked with Russell Crowe some years before.
A lot of big Aussie actors do these dodgy films here before hitting the big
time.
I didn't get to talk to Leanna Walsman, though I was meant to and I was
introduced to her. I was pretty hyped as she had just been in the last Star
Wars.
She was 'in character' (so I was warned) She plays a girl who ODs so she was
wafting about. To be honest, it was very strange. I guess actors do that to
get in the headspace when scenes are usually shot out of sequence.
I saw her a week later in Chapel St at dusk and I hid behind a post as I was
scared she may still be 'in character' and it could be awkward.
A friend of mine, Richie McNeill, who promotes techno events, was originally
musical advisor but then they brought in a guy Anton who worked with Baz
Luhrmann and who really didn't know much about club culture. That was a
mistake.
Richie brought Paul Van Dyk in and wanted some other techno cats involved.
The director Paul Currie - it was his first film - called me up after the
story ran and thanked me. But he kinda came across as a bit sensitive on my
comparing it to Moulin Rouge but there were common themes and I didn't think
the analogy could do any harm. He was like, that never occurred to me. It
was fairly clear. But in a good way. I called it a Moulin Rouge for ravers.
I was writing for a daily so I had to make it accessible.
Visually it looks great but I feel that many here in the local scene had
ideological problems with the way drugs were represented in the film. There
were more fatalities in the film than is usual in the local club culture!
Paul used to work doing drama groups with Reach, a group that works to
educate kids about drugs. He is working on a new project now but it's v hush
hush. The film was nominated for some awards at the Australian Film Awards
but only because there are so few quality films coming out of Aus at the
moment, bar Somersault. It certainly deserved an award for cinematography.