Great interview.  It's important to recognize that Kevin has
linked up with Submerge 100% to make the festival happen
this year.  It's a very tall order and there will be a lot of loose
ends given the financial situation, but we should give these
guys total support.

I also want to endorse the idea of the festival, as it goes
forward, providing assistance to rebuilding the music programs
in Detroit schools.  All of the history of Detroit music -- jazz,
soul, techno and more -- is immersed in the music programs of
the elementary and high school systems over the decades.

You simply cannot have a musical scene in a city of any
serious consequence that doesn't have that as a starting point
for kids who otherwise are mere consumers of whatever is
provided from commercial music.  Even a little bit goes a
long way to help school music program, and most of all some
attention to "extracurricular" activities which have been defunded
in our country's mad rush to siphon support from the public
sector and to concentrate wealth.

I gather it's a real mixed situation right now.  On the one hand,
the new Detroit School for the Arts is just opening.  On the
other, the city may close more than 30 schools at the end of
the school year.  Music, art and other programs are being cut
dramatically.  My dad was a musician and composer and all
my family went through music programs in our schools (and
my sister makes her living as a piano teacher).  Not everyone
will end up doing things directly related to their exposure to
school music programs, but it has a substantial effect on all
of us.

http://detroitchess.com/music.htm
http://www.freep.com/news/education/newschool1e_20050301.htm

++fred