You wrote:
> How would he know what electronic music is fashionable if he's not into
> electronic music?

Because in the UK, magazines that pretend to be about music such as Mixmag, are
actually lifestyle magazines that sell themselves with lurid stories about
celebs in Ibiza, drug exposes and pictures of scantily clad female 'clubbers'
on the cover. People who aren't into music buy these magazines, read them and
think that the stuff they learn in there represents dance music.

I don't think my friend is a Mixmag reader, but the same type of thing happens
to a lesser extent in the glossy magazines that come with weekend editions of
the national newspapers. Let's just say that coverage of dance music in the UK
is pretty shocking (with a few notable exceptions).