peeps

I am having a few problems with my 1200 and was wondering if anyone might be
able to suggest what the problem might be. I tried sending this to 313
techknow but that doesn't seem to be working. I can assure you that I only
play 313 vinyl on the 1200, in case this seems a bit OT :^)

I bought a s/h 1200 a year or so ago and a new shure SC35C cartridge with
the pale blue needle. recently, I accidentally damaged the needle and
replaced it with the yellow needle for the M35S cart, which I was told is
the only replacement currently available.
(see http://www.turntablelab.com/index1.html for pix of these carts &
needles).

the new yellow needle is clearly higher output and generally sounds better,
although I have found that some records sound a little distorted, especially
the kick drums, and the needle tends to skip and jump the groove sometimes.
I have checked all the adjustments and set up the tonearm as per the shure
website instructions (3 - 5g tracking, height 5, cartridge towards rear of
headshell) as well as trying different setting for tonearm height and
anti-skating, but none of these adjustments seem to improve the sound.
although the old needle is damaged, I can still use it and with all the same
settings, it doesn't skip or sound distorted. I have looked at the new
needle with a magnifying glass and it seems to be perfectly OK.

please hit me back is you might have had similar experiences and can suggest
what else I can try. thanx a bunch.

philip