Thanks for positive note Minto, but I must tell you that was the worst
live set we've done in years. The sound guy screwed us so bad we should
have stopped. The fact that he was inexperienced did not help matters. I
was going to lose it and one point and really start killing people... ;)

Peace,
Alex

Minto George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
06/01/2005 11:07 PM

313@hyperreal.org
cc

Subject
(313) RE: fuse-in detroit - technicolor mf

Back from tha D after 20 hours of being on the
road...off the top of my head while the weekend is
still fresh in my mind:

*this is a long review so break out the potato chips
and onion dip*

Day 1:

Woke up around 11am and made it out to Submerge to
take the gang record shopping. it was hard to get them
out of there after entering. really happy to see
Submerge reaching out to more labels outside of
Detroit too. As always it was like feeding time at the
troff, lots of techno enthusiasts and very little
elbow room to dig for the slop. got to the festival
kind of late after friday night's pre-fuse-in party at
Oslo. As always every year previous, the schedule was
so out of wack it didn't matter looking at the print
out of the schedule i had brought with me. When we
arrived Luke Eargoggle had just started up in the
Musiclogical tent. He played a sweet set of LIVE
electro and egyptian lover-like beats. sux we missed
Orgue's set cause we had heard it rained early on at
noon and there were a lot of people checkin out
Brian's set. Also saw a bit of Pirahnahead's deep
house dj set which was nice to hear as the sun was
breakin out on the main stage. Really overall a nice
beautiful cool and breezy weekend. Then it was back to
the tent which is where I and pretty much most of the
gang stayed the rest of the evening with highlight
sets from Legowelt (best set i had ever heard Danny
play going more into old school chicago Polarius
mode), Cosmic Force (I had thought Cosmic Force was 2
guys but finally met Ben and he explained Edo does not
have anything to do with Cosmic Force anymore and that
it has been that way for a while now. Edo still
records for Ben's marguerita label though), Bangkok
Impact, and Detroit in Effect! What a show they put on
too!!! Klen and Serge from Clone also played brilliant
dj sets. Ultradyne ended the night with a nice set of
dark mysterious EViLL! In between I caught pretty much
all of Aril Brika's DEEP set on the main stage. Also
Fabrice rocked it well too! lost of Detroit and gosh i
remember hearing Robert Armani's Circus Bells played
too! nice! and it's a shame we didn't meet up. next
time Fabrice! ;) Missed a lot of people's sets too
like John Tejada's set as well as tony olivierra,
suburban knight, and electofunk live! which i was
really bummed to miss since it was one of last year's
highlight's for me. afterparty action started off at
this middle eastern restaurant in Dearborn which had
some nutty dope arabic music band playing. The food
was incredile and the music was sweet...very
inspirational. afterwards some crashed at the hotel
and a few of us troopers made it out to see our
favorite $tink play live late into the night... j
played some favorites of course and a new track i had
not heard before which was this slow struttin'
bassline tune that had even legowelt jammin while all
the other dutch crew were passed out on the floor.
haha. A nice chill set by mah dowg with such short
notice and amazing considering the little time he had
to put it together. whew what an amazing first day at
the festival. i would have been just as happy to go
home at that point.

Day 2... slow gettin up and made it out to the
festival way late thinking we had missed raiders of
the lost Arp but again the schedule all different from
the posted one and we caught most of Mario's set which
was definitely a highlight of the weekend. Scan 7 was
sick! tough as nails techno and so good it made me
punch convextion in the arm pretty hard. that track
with the 808 kick in one bar with the decay all the
way up *ucked me up! the re-uniting of AUX 88 was nice
too. Seeing Model 500 LIVE was something I had been
anticipating for a long time. It was cool to see Juan
up there on the vocals but what was up with the
air-101? haha too bad you can't play chords on that
keyboard :P still a treat to see even as funny as some
of the new juan lyrics were. "I'm the audiotech up in
this *itch!" hahah yah hearing technicolor on that
sound system was sweet. model 500 kicked off equals
lame...so we ran over to see Robotnick. It was packed
in the tent and i would describe it as italo-techno
most of the time he played. very hi-nrg and not my cup
of tea musically but fun to watch him doing old man
dance moves up there and smiling real silly. Greg
Earle and I were diggin the moment he played some OMD
though :P late LATE night action included Coney's in
Dearborn and a super late night LIVE/dj set by Rob
Hood. Rob was awesome! i dunno what KJ means by his
mixing being so bad...he was smooth as butter! He had
the QY-20 along with his 909 at the gig. He would mix
records in between live songs tapping in between on
the 909 rhythm patterns. His family was there too
standing like sticks like they weren't interested but
nice to see them supporting Rob like that especially
when he was playing from 4am till 6am! so glad i went
to check him out even though i was wrecked after this
one! drove back to Dearborn with the dawn sunlight
blinding me and crashed hard!

Day 3:

waking up even later and even paid for an extra day at
the hotel we stayed at just to get some more Zzzz's
Dropped some of the gang off at the festival at 5pm
and a group of us went out to Melodies and Memories
way up on the 9 mile end of Gratiot and it was a store
i had not hit before in Detroit. It was classic diggin
time and there was plenty of stupid rare stuff sitting
on the shelves still. Reggie at M&M was super nice to
us and even pointed us in the direction of some stuff
we passed up even after buying up 1/10 of the classics
section. after the attack at the record store it was
off to the festival and got there to see the second
half of Carl's set. like someone said before not super
smooth mixing but excellent track selection from C2
and a faithful following of people dancing to the
music. Stayed to hear Rich Medina who took us deep
into Afrobeat and deep deep house. first time for me
to hear him and he was excellent. played some
phili-soul classics too! stellar. I made my first
attempt to try and enjoy the underground stage but the
sound was so terrible like it always is that it just
made me leave. The placement of the opposite side made
it worse...mega bass-ey and muddy like an otter on a
riverbank. Food court action was alright but much more
slim than previous years. Did the price go up or was i
just imagining? got juiced up and ready for UR's LIVE
performance. It was very good and entertaining and
much more jazz/funk style than UR's performance last
year at the Cass afterparty. watching the eleven year
old kid play on Inspiration was a good feeling and
comforting knowing that UR is in good hands well into
the future. by the end of the night my feet and legs
were so sore i had to just sit out Mos Def and chill
out front. It was nice meeting Greg Earle, Fred and
Kent Williams from the list. Also nice running into
old list members like JP Bagdonas, Marina, and Alan
Oldham. I looked around for Shake after a friend told
me he saw him but no luck amongst the sea of
glowsticks and pacifiers in the festival crowd. I hope
it continues and keeps on for more people to enjoy. I
take new people up there every year and every year it
inspires someone new. maybe next year boys and
girls...thanks for some good times Detroit!

minto

down low music
http://downlowmusic.org
dLCMLP The Connection Machine PAINLESS OUT NOW
dLVEXT2 E.R.P. 12" FEB
dL SHOP LOWER LEVELS
http://lowrlvlz.gemm.com

Discover Yahoo!