--------- Original Message ----------------------------------
From: "J.T." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>yes!
>hehe

ha. as long as we're all on the same page here ;)

>boots are never really excusable, but it is at least slightly
>more respectable when somebody tosses out a boot and doesnt
>disguise it as a boot (white labels, little or no
>info..ghetTTttoo stylez)...rather than tossing it out and
>presenting it like the genuine article as htfr (thats not just
>bootlegging, that's fraud/counterfeiting!!), or as some sort of
>official product (automan, etc).

this is probably true. what about those ballroom records? they
mention weird edit names on the labels but im not sure if theyre
really any different.

so here's whats really interesting to me. i know how the economics
of pressing records works, it usually requires selling a pretty
large amount of records before you break even, and thats even when
youre using tracks that you arent paying the artist for. since
these guys need to pay for the mastering and plating and sh*t, are
they really making much if any money? and if youre bootlegging and
not making money, is that as "criminal"? especially if youre going
to the lengths that HTFR (if theyre definitely the ones at fault
here..) and having color sleeves and whatnot made, you really cant
be making too much profit.

>my explanation for occasionally buying a boot: none, i am
>BAD...cloud one bootleg, ohhh i couldnt resist, i am weak....

yeah, actually thats one that i would buy as well.

>but surely the bootleggers are more to blame than the
>consumers...it's just all these twisted ethics people are trying
>to excuse themselves with, or as kamal eloquently put it, these
>feelings of ENTITLEMENT to somebody else's property, that are
>shocking....face it you are bad...very naughty...but yes, nowhere
>near as criminal as the bootleggers.

a thought occured to me. perhaps these artists/label owners arent
aware of the level of demand for certain (especially older)
things? a quick glance through discogs would probably help them
out, but who knows if they do that? its entirely possible that
they just have no idea what is in demand and thats why theyre not
repressing. perhaps the bootleggers have a better ear to the
ground and thats why theyre always one step ahead of the legit
represses. bootlegging has been around as long as recorded music
has, its part of the culture, like it or not. id like to hope at
least some good comes of it.

>i consider illegal re-edits/remixes a slightly different
>animal...it still aint right, but it's a little less wrong...

youve used pretty big samples before, id hope you wouldnt even
care about things like that.

>i still cant get over the price of ugly edits...or understand
>it...

all i know is that im more than happy to pay more money for things
from artists i really like. i know some people arent into that,
but for me theres so few modern people consistantly putting out
the bomb sh*t that the premium doesnt bother me so much.

tom

andythepooh.com