Aaarrggggh!
http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/noose.jpg

-----Original Message-----
From: Tristan Watkins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 14 June 2005 13:23
To: 313
Subject: (313) Some slightly more coherent reactions to the best
performance ever

Argh. Been struggling to get this through...

So, I'm a little more capable of describing what about and why I liked the John
Arnold and Jeremy Ellis (Ayro) show on Sunday so much. First, the evironment
was flawless. Plastic People can get a bit cramped even on Sundays, but it was
just well-attended enough to create a properly enthused response, while still
leaving enough room to move. Also, some live performers I've seen there in the
past have shown a total disregard for normal volume restrictions, litterally
clearing the entire dance floor through pure obliviousness, but again that was
not the case on Sunday.

It probably helps to have seen Ayro live before to understand what's so unique
and compelling (I'm personally thinking of his main stage DEMF performance a
couple of years ago). Basically he just did everything in that show: starting
with live MPC into some live Moog, each suddenly becoming a loop before you
know it, then he'd run across the stage, play some live percussion, run back
and start singing. Later John Arnold, some singers and others joined him to
round things out, but he still managed to wear just about every hat.

So this time around it's billed as an MPC tag team (the Akai MPC is probably
the most popular sampler in the world and has 16 square pads to trigger
samples, particularly good for percussion). It started with Jeremy Ellis
delivering a blistering percussion solo, which came full circle to a thin
broken beat atop which John Arnold layered his own percussion solo to fill
things up, then off they went. John Arnold played live guitar (although some of
the stuff he was coming out with was processed enought to sound like the
craziest techno bass and/or synth lines I've heard). Ayro had two keyboards
with him, with which he would do visually blurring, mind-melting solos that
somehow terminated in a newly-formed synth line. He also sang really, really
well. Some of the newer Peurto Rican stuff really stood out but the whole thing
was great. Beyond all that, with so much to do at all times and so much ground
to cover, the whole thing tied together brilliantly, allowing each artist a bit
of spotlight when necessary, but generally working together without a hitch.
This was absolutely the next level of live performance: entirely created on the
spot (save a couple of missing vocalists on a couple of tracks), masterful
execution, complete pride, confidence and joy in the process and result. They
also managed to go through about 4 mics and an MPC meltdown without missing a
beat. Stunning.

Tristan
=======
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.phonopsia.co.uk

Note:

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
those of Channel Four Television Corporation unless specifically stated. This
email
and any files transmitted are confidential and intended solely for the use of
the
individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this
email in
error, please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank You.