On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:55:50AM +0100, robin wrote:
> >May I be annoying, and raise a technical point here?
> >
> >Digitalised music is always an "approximation", so I prefer to stick
> >with "the real thing" and keep my vinyl.
> >In a decent sound system anyone can tell the difference when
> >comparing the "real thing" with .wav, .mp3 or any other standard
> >digital format...
>
> i used to think like that guilherme. thing is tho i've not met a dj yet
> who knows how to drive the levels properly on a dj mixer (and once one
> dj in a night pushes those levels into the red all that follow more or
> less have to do the same) and almost all club PA's are pretty poor
> quality.

I agree 100% with all you guys said about club/dj sound systems.
It is the glass window comparison...

But I almost always buy records because of the music, barely have
in mind the club/DJ tool concept, and 98% of the time I am listenin to
them in my home stereo. So it is important they sound good there.

> i also think that people's ears are trained to hear vinyl specific
> mastering. if someone plays something digitally that's been mastered
> for that media (off a cd for example) the sound is definitely
> different. i prefer my own recorded off vinyl files for that reason.

Yes, that was my question. You still need a good source (vinyl) to
digitalise from, and in my experience 16/44 does result in considerable
degradation of the sound (comparing to the vinyl source), specially for
less processed funk, jazz, etc...