Ian Malbon wrote:

Did anyone here hit the show at St. Andrews? Other events (and local effects of global warming) kept me from going. Is a brief review possible?

I thought it was a fun show. Not as energetic as the last time I saw them, but no matter. Its always a pleasure to hear music like that on a large soundsystem.

The more breaks-oriented tracks didn't seem to have enough propulsion to them, compared to some of the dubbier or more technoesque tracks. Based on the crowd reaction, I'd wager many of them felt similarly since the dancing seemed to taper off during those tracks, though I danced the entire time.

Hearing "House of God" was quite a treat!!!

One of my fave points in the show was the section where the guy on the cover of "Halloween Dub" was in the video walking down a hallway and the music got really heavy and creepy!! Oohh YES!!!! Bring on dem hoodoo riddims!!!

The videos were truly excellent and coordinated well with the music. It was actually quite fun to see where a lot of their samples come from. Pity their video equipment couldn't take the heat.

At the show they were selling CDs by Pistel Dub Collective, who I'd never heard of before. I bought it with the assumption that if they're affiliated with MBM, the music would be interesting if nothing else. I've listened to it a few times and like it quite a bit. It isn't as developed as MBM, but its better than average. I'd be curious to hear what else they've done.