Because of my work, I deal with a lot of music contracts
on a regular basis, and if Peacefrog has a typical contract
with Joe Lewis, Peacefrog would have covered their butt
in this situation: Lewis would have had to affirm in signing
a contract with Peacefrog that he owned the work being
released on Peacefrog.
So in this case, if Lewis had indeed submitted songs to
Peacefrog (now released) that he did not own the copyright
to, Lewis would be breaching Peacefrog's
contract and furthermore Read could sue Lewis for
copyright infringement.  Read wouldn't have any truck
with Peacefrog in this situation because Peacefrog didn't
intentionally infringe Read's copyright.  As has been
said, if Lewis signed a contract with Peacefrog saying
that the songs were indeed his (Lewis'), Peacefrog would
have no reason to doubt him. My CDN .02. Andrew "not
a lawyer, so don't quote me on this" Duke

--
Andrew Duke
scoring/sound design/source