They said on the DVD (I think) that they had eliminated the markers to make
it look like any city but it's very clearly Sydney, I agree!
I just came back from NZ and was amazed at how they're using the filming of
Lord Of The Rings as a tourist attraction. Then I went to a market in South
Auckland and they were selling T-shirts "Lord Of The Hood: Return Of The
Kingpin" which cracked me up.