I think it was the pre-2am slump, or rather he was warming up the clubbers to the rawer stuff over the 4 hours he djed. When I got there at 12:30 I had the same impression. Boring uninspired drumrolls and breakdowns with some obnoxious eighties basslines. But by the time he finished I thought it was a great set of big macho club music. For one thing, he's playing at 1015, the most meat markety prog club in San Francisco so if he went in there playing emo-techno classics and minimal acid bleepiness the floor would have been dead. But you could find all that stuff in the front room courtesy of the brothers Chris and Paul Leath who are great guys and did a awesome mixup of hiphop, lo fi acid tweaks, and techno bangers. Check out their production when you get a chance http://www.elotromundo.com/. I definetely got the sense of an intentional progression to what he was playing. The mixing was impeccable and I really enjoyed the cuts and backspins as long seamless mixing is the name of the game in this town usually. At one point he broke it down to this minister vocal about having the soul in the music that i've heard a few times. It was not for the heads, it was a big club sound appropriate for a big club like 1015 with enough of that heady techno oomph to keep me rocking. Its the kind of techno that sexy club girls can get down to too because it's accessible with a touch of rawness. Not too tweaked out or lo-fi or "intelligent". But regardless of whether I liked the music or not, the whole set really felt like someone who knows what they are doing in terms of being a dj. that is, he wasn't simply showcasing the latest hot tracks or being a superstar performer he was creating a 4 hour journey for the crowd which I can totally appreciate. The highs were really harsh for the first hour but he was working with the sound guy and by the end of the night the sound had a great lowend thump and crisp highs and the light guy really added to the atmosphere. I guess for me I'm getting a little bored of the intimate lounge/warehouse type parties where i know everyone there and so it was refreshing to hear technoish stuff in a big club without the latest ego djing. It totally brought me back to seeing KMS, Eddie Fowkes, or some of the other old school techno guys where they play this big chugging hard sound that is somewhere between techno, house (and gulp... even trance) but which you can't exactly pin down to one genre. but that's just my opinion.

Here's an mp3 of the Stacey Pullen set from when he came out in 97 for the Transmat tour courtesy of Monty Luke's Juicy Bitz blog http://www.justiceleague.com/tsm/Live%20in%20SF%20-%20Transmat%20Tour%203.10.97.mp3