It's a fabulous place but the first time is frightening as the language
barrier is sooo profound.
Tower Records in Shibuya is fantastic. You can also get the street press
there and I know there's an English language paper.

Disk Union in Shibuya is awesome for Detroit and there's a jazz DU somewhere
else - I forget where.

I always meant to go visit Edo Castle but I get scared negotiating the
railways! ;)

I stayed at Century Hyatt this time in Nov and there was some great tourist
info in the foyer in English that proved better than the guide books.

Some things are really cheap in Japan, like diffusion fashion lines if
you're buying clothese.

The department stores - which are amazing - should give tourists an
exemption on their GST equivalent but sometimes they don't tell you because
of the language barrier! You should show your passport at point of purchase.

The Japanese are lovely and you just need a few basic phrases to get by like
thank you, hello, goodbye for starters. It's safe to wander around late too.
Have plenty of small change for the vending machines.