Yep, and from having a brother and sister-in-law who are working artists
with gallery representation in NYC I can tell you that in general, the US
government isn't very friendly to helping artists.  Not nearly as much as
European governments.  Most funding for arts in the US is from private
companies and organizations.
After "scandals" like the "Piss Christ" photo by Andres Serrano and work by
Robert Mappelthorpe - there was one more that happened here in Minneapolis
too I believe - an HIV positive performance artist who used their blood in
their work - well, there was a backlash against the US funding
"controversial" art.  In fact it spurred a whole debate worthy of a first
year liberal arts course about "what is art"?

I could be wrong but I think the government, ESPECIALLY this
administration, is still tight with the purse strings.  I wouldn't put it
past a few of the people in the White House to be quite hostile towards the
idea.

The American public, in general, doesn't trust "thinkers".

MEK

             "Svagr, Jodie"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             uk>                                                        To
                                       "Odeluga, Ken"
             12/08/05 11:28 AM         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "thomas
                                       ironside ainslie"
                                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "313
                                       Mailing List" <313@hyperreal.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: (313) [Fwd: Live performance
                                       grant]

I'm a US citizen studying in the UK, and luckily for me, many of the
courses I took last year were about the UK government funding system for
the arts, and the UK has a TON of funding opportunities available for
artists.  So, Ken, I think maybe you are not aware of everything your fine
British country has to offer, which is a shame, because there is a ton of
money available... check out the Arts Council Website as a starting
point... if you have any more questions, let me know.  The Arts Council is
just a starting point, but they are a huge force, and they have a lot of
money.  There are also private organisations and hundreds of trusts
offering funding as well.

Good luck and don't give up your search so easily!!