I find that most dance music magazines do a crap job of interviews and
articles.  I think there is too much pressure on getting as much shoved
into the pages as possible - more bang for your buck.  Of course adverts
take up lots of space as well but that's what pays for the production and
allows you to write the articles and pay your people.
Overall, I think XLR8R does a pretty good job for a N.American glossy.  Wax
Poetic is my all time favorite though (and Straight No Chaser for UK mags).
WP's articles are usually at least three full pages with great graphics,
intelligent writing/interviews, etc.  It is geared toward the
hip-hop/funk/jazz/crate-digger audience so you won't find much on techno or
house.  That said there was an article on Italo disco and one written by
Greg Wilson on early electro.  It's definitely a magazine that you want to
READ and not flip through.  No fashion spreads and very little if anything
on the latest gadget fad.  It's all about the music.

pulling the plug out of the socket

MEK

             robin
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             org>                                                       To
                                       313 <313@hyperreal.org>
             12/09/05 09:13 AM                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: (313) XLR8R magazine

> last issue was Carl Craig on the cover - this issue is the year round up
> with Jamie Lidell on the cover

i picked up the Carl Craig issue.

you'd think that after they'd gone to the trouble of photoing the guy
and putting him on the cover they'd have managed to put some effort into
their interview with him. it's well short.

robin...