It's hard to say what motivated the shooter.  There is even speculation
he planned to attack the "official party" itself which was well-run
on a heavily traveled street and finished at the early hour (for me
anyway :) of 4 am.  When they say, "the freaks come out," Seattle
knows how to do that and be cool with it.

The Seattle scene has always been an ever-changing melange and
people cross readily between music genres because they are *friends*,
you know.  The boundaries are much less than they are in other parts
of the country, from what I have observed, and there is a lot of
crossover between electronic and regular band scenes as the
interests of those already identified as victims indicates.  And there
is less of the segregation by age groups that has occurred in
other places, certainly in Portland where I am.  The people in that
house were in the late teens to late 20s.

This was utter violence visited on a scene that works hard to keep
that out, where people actually say "PLUR" and mean it.  Our
friend groovinkim, who founded nwtekno, lives a few blocks away
and says the neighborhood is semi-sketchy.  This is all about a
multi-ethnic youth culture trying to find a safe space to function in
an increasingly unbalanced society.  You can chuckle at the "candy"
aspect of some of it but these are, through only a couple degrees of
separation, our brothers and sisters in electronic dance music of
*whatever* kind.

fh