I adapted to the heat and my perennially late-night ways by showing
up around 3 each day.  So I missed Carl Craig and a couple others
who I wanted to see, but also conserved energy in the heat and
got enough sleep so that now, after traveling three times zones back
home, I don't feel totally wiped out.

Saturday the good ones for me were our own Fred Gianelli's set on
the main stage -- maybe not as crackling-hot as the waterfront
stage one a couple years ago, but it sounded awesome on the
big system. I liked Rob Hood's set but it got samey and so
I caught the last hour of Doc Martin who was actually quite good.
But Fellefell, er, Felton Howard gets the #1 star for the day for
another exceptional set in the Beatport tent (last year I was very
impressed by his hour at the Nefarious tent).  He built it up and
had the place full and jumping at the end.

Sunday, Donald Glaude lived down to his reputation and played
a pretty darn cheesy set.  But Tortured Soul was fun to watch
although I was hoping for a bit more improv and jamming -- they
seemed to be reproducing what a house track would sound like
if a band was playing (which it was), but not so much what a
band would sound like playing house, if you know what I mean.
Nonetheless, very talented and energetic, despite the heat.

Le Petit Orb was quite good although not up to the stellar
heights of the two mid-1990s shows I saw.  Although Speedy J
and Chris Leibing played a listener-friendly set, as with a lot of
the live acts this weekend (starting with Matthew Jonson at
the opening party at Bleu Friday night) I felt that the approach
was too static, lots of well constructed loops but little real
development.  Rob Acid was kind of interesting, in fact probably
the best thing I heard in the underground stage all weekend.
Otherwise what I saw there was forgettable.  On the whole,
Sunday was one of the least interesting days out of seven years
at the festival.  But then I did miss Josh Wink while we were
watching the Orb just yards away . . .

Monday made up for it, although it was more a matter of chaining
together bits of interesting sets rather than entire solid ones.
Adam X was actually really cool with his bondage gear and new
industrial sound, dark and glittering.  I thought Neil Landstrumm
was outstanding in his live set.  It was kind of an art-performance
concept, like, take every patch and every drum pattern and
every melody line you have, match Column A with Tab B and
Field C and see what you come up with.  But Adam Beyer
after that left me cold.  Donnacha Costello is someone I don't
know anything about but I have a couple tracks, and he turned
in a good ambient/techno set that was properly mental.  I thought
Nitzer Ebb was interesting for about 15 minutes but then all the
shouting got boring although the beats were solid; but along with
Adam X it was a good day for industrial at the festival at long last.
Richie's set seemed more wide-ranging than previous ones but
still really didn't lift up.  So that was it for me on the main stage;
I went and watched Huckaby finish up his set to close the
festival.

The big gold star for Monday goes to Louie Vega.  I've seen him
before (at the Shelter, no less), so his mixing style was no surprise,
but I was again impressed by his ability to wring the maximum
impact out of otherwise fairly tame tracks.  He had a little run
around 6 pm in the blazing heat that really took off, though, and
one of those brilliant moments when he dropped Stevie Wonder
(was that "Sunshine in Their Eyes" -- I don't know Stevie's whole
oeuvre very well) at just the right time.  He was enjoying himself, and
stayed on to tag with the Blaze guys.  Lots of smiles all around.

I felt the festival was well run, so give Paxahau some credit for
stepping in and making it all work.  But I also had long stretches
where the music quality just didn't measure up to previous years.
The variety was certainly there, but no simply oustanding
performances and a lot of sub-par ones, especially in the
underground stage.  My big recommendation for next year is
to rebalance the lineup with more in-town talent of all kinds.
And there sure wasn't much ELECTRO at the fest this year.
I mean, how can you even have a Detroit event without it?

More about afterparties laterz . . .

fh