On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:44:11AM +0100, JSS wrote:
> got the virgo four the other day
> bizarrely one side had a crackle just like my old original.. almost as if it
> had been mastered off vinyl (?!)

Probably. There are ways and ways of "remastering" (compare for example,
what the BC camp did for C.Craig's Climax, to what you see in most
bootlegs).

> not had a chance to compare the two as my original is at a friends.. did
> sound ok though. and probably (hopefully) better than the original...

My copy of Virgo Four is the worst piece of vinyl I have seen. It is all
over poppy/cracky... the (wonderful) music is barely listenable.
A friend has it on CD and it sounds OK, though. So I am wondering if
they trully remastered it and the repress is listenable (otherwise, I
will just make digital copies :-( from the CD)

> lookk fwd to catching up on a few i missed... how many are being released i
> wonder?  need 'free yourself' for a start

Free yourself was repressed as well. See the bottom of
http://www.discogs.com/label/Trax+Records for a almost complete list (or
the back of one of the repressed sleeves).
However, my old copy of "Free Yourself" is rather good (for TRAX
standards).