To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:52 AM
Subject: (313) basic (=dumb?) question

What makes a podcast a podcast?
My daily newspaper today defined podcasting as "the creation of online audio
or video content for download" and said it has only been widespread since
"June last year".
I'm no media expert but this sounds like rubbish to me. People such as many on this list have been putting DJ mixes up on the net for download for ages.
Certainly long before the term podcast came into use.
I had supposed that what a podcast was was a file already in the
audio-codec-from-the-mpeg4-video-codec format that iPods seem to use (ie.
ready to go on a pod without having to be converted by iTunes or something).
Don't know why I thought this, maybe I just made it up.
Or is it more to do with the material involved - a one off DJ mix remains
that where a radio style show that gets put up at regular intervals is a
podcast?
Does the fact that I'm not sure about something like this mean I have now
finally become old?