funsters there is a short but OK article about ken collier & beatdown in the current (well current here) issue of wax poetics, the one with bill withers on the cover warning this article contains descriptions and characteristics of the beatdown sound, no 'definitions' tho :^)

philster

It's written by a listmember, too, Dan Bean. Speaking of Beatdown, from what I got from this article, beatdown is more a style of playing than a genre in itself. The pitched down, deep (however one chooses to define the word seems to fit) tracks that straddle the line between chunky tunes to chill to and funky (Mike Clark even played Abe Duque's "What happened?" at a way-pitched down tempo when I saw him a few months back, making it into a whoole new listening/dancing experience), groovy tunes to dance to, for lack of a better, or more accurate, description.

I'm surprised that no listmembers have given their account of the Beatdown night last month during the fest weekend. Delano Smith, Mike Clark, and Norm Talley were in full force and spun some good @ss house that Sunday night at the Porter Street Station. Craig Alexander from Chicago was playing when I arrived, playing some good Chicago-sounding tracks, and finishing with a remix of Let No Man Put Asunder with what sounded like an almost two-step beat underneath it. Delano Smith played well, starting with a housey version of Kraftwerk's Numbers, and following up with some nice tracks that kept the booties shakin' and the dancefloor quite full for the duration of his set. He must have worn a lot of the dancers out becuase by the time Norm Talley started playing the dancefloor wasn't nearly as full, but Talley was able to build the groove back up, only to finish with the vocal version of Bring Down the Walls. Then Mike Clark did his thing, to the delight of all present, only to be joined by a vocalist for a nice finish.

The venue at and the crowd at that show really gave me an impression of what the experience might have been like during the late 80's at the Music institute, where the place was dark, the music was jacking, local people (not just the folks from the suburbs) danced like they didn't care and good times were had by all (or so the story goes, anyway). Definitely one of the highlights of this year's festival weekend.

Another highlight for me was the K Alexi/Mark Verbos show at the Buzz Bar Friday night. (Paul Johnson and Echoplex were sccheduled as well, but weren't there). K ALexi couldn't have played a better set to begin the weekend with. Loads (and I mean LOADS) of edits of otherwise familiar tracks; his own Club MCM and My Medusa, other really jacking and groovy Chicago minimal house, Strings, French Kiss, I called U, Kaos Juice Bar, his Kraftwerk re-edit, and a ton of other tracks that I can't remember that kept me moving till 4am. Definitely a DJ worth seeing if you haven't seen him spin before, a jacking party guaranteed. ANyone who can pull off playing the most recent edit of a Madonna song (the one that samples the 80's Italo tune) Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Two Tribes (in a very extended dance version) and then follow that with a progression of great house tracks that make you feel like you're dancing in mid-to-late 80's Chicago is a good DJ in my book. Unfortunately, the attendance wasn't really there. The drunk folk who were there to goof off for a while and then go home left before 1 o'clock, and there seemed to be very few people in attendance afterwards. Nevertheless, K Alexi gave it his best, and it showed. It may as well have been a floor packed to capacity, with the energy and the music selection that he played. Another sign of a good dj who plays his best in spite how big (or small) the attendance may be. Jack Tracks indeed.

Saturday night, it was Shake who played a great set. A good mix of styles and genres; a bit of disco edits, a bit of classic house, a bit of wigged out, Soundhack-like techno, then Phylyps track II made a welcome appearance, then a bit later a remix of Snoop's Drop it Like It's Hot. A few more nice tracks followed, and then a nice finish with Radiohead. Again, a nice blend of genres, all of them fitting the mood of the set, the genres complimenting one another. Pure Detroit class if you ask me (as were the others mentioned above).

On the festival grounds, Robert Hood at the end of the first day on the main stage was the highlight of that day for me (along with Mike Clark earlier that day). He played a lot of hard, minimal, funky tracks, a few of his own, something from Minimal Nation (I think) and then finished off with Der Klang Der Familie and some other tracks, after his live jam on the 909 and a sequenced synth. It amazes me how all these guys can do and be their own original style, and still keep the music sounding fresh and exciting, even after all these years!

Sunday was a chill day for me (and the festival lin-up wasn't all that exciting), and on the last night Derrick May, Mike Huckaby and Louie Vega were the highlights. Derrick kept the pace of Beyer for about a half hour, and then played his signature tribal and melodic stuff. Some newer, unfamiliar to me tracks, a really cool funk/disco song after his signature acapella track, and some newer, almost electro/industrial tracks towards the end. The last track he played was rather interesting, a pacey beat, with a reverbed, dubbed out guitar riff, a rather melancholic sounding piece. Mike Huckaby played some nice house at the end of monday on the riverfront stage stage, a bit of modymann, and a new track at the end that D. May played before the end of his set also. Looks a like a new white label (anyone have info on what it was?). Louie Vega played a nice garage-y set earlier on the same stage, which kept the crowd happy and dancing, in spite of the early afternoon heat.

It was also nice to meet of few of you guys in person (Fred and Dan Bean at the Beatdown show) and Tom Cox driving down Woodward on his way to white castle :o)

Wojtek