Blue notes (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_note as referred
before) are problematic for me, not because of any racial issues, but
because they can be abused.

A perfect example is the the guy who sings for the Black Crowes, who
hammers incessantly on the flat 3rd, 5th and 7th notes.  Some of his
'melodies' end up being just those notes.  I can take about 30 seonds
of the Black Crowes before I start feeling like kicking a dog. And I
like dogs.

Beyond that, the vast majority of music made in any genre isn't very
original, and breaks down into a collection of genre gestures and
cliches. These can be strung together on a standard template to
produce music in the genre, but with nothing really new to say.

The 'blues' gestures, the 'i-used-to-sing-solos-in-church'
ornamentation, can become pretty empty, rote exercises in the wrong
hands.  As with any music, as a listener, you have to work pretty hard
to find the original and authentic work out of the sea of workmanlike
imitations and rank crap.   Contrast and compare the early work of
Aretha Franklin -- especially the real gospel she recorded when she
was a teenager -- with annoyance-factories like Mariah Carey.  Aretha
sounds fearless and completely free in her singing. Mariah by
comparison is a talented kid who'll never touch that depth of feeling.

I can understand the musical choice to shy away from music that's
heavily dependent on the R&B and Blues idiom, because it doesn't speak
to your condition. If you don't connect emotionally as a listener with
a genre, it's all going to sound the same. More power to someone who
goes a different direction and find the sound that feels authentic to
them.

On the other hand, statements like "I don't play Black Music" are
unfortunate, whether they indicate a bit too bluntly an aesthetic
choice, or reflect a real prejudice.  The latter is obviously a bad
thing, the former a lack of sensitivity.   Not being able to speak
English well isn't really an excuse, because it's not like the
statement is idiomatic or abstract.

On 7/28/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED]