To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 2:19 PM
Subject: (313) high tech soul (was: Re: (313) DM Update)

Cyclone Wehner wrote:

I am pretty certain Eddie Fowlkes started using it, or has. Derrick hasn't claimed to start it, he just likes it. I believe I've seen it elsewhere too - probably in relation to UR. I have to confess I haven't seen the whole doc yet, perhaps there will be some illumination there?

eddie fowlkes used the term "techno soul"
(for instance: http://www.discogs.com/release/98913)

the term "high tech soul" has been used by dutch dj dimitri
since the early 90ies for his club night "hi-tech soul
movement". at infamous Amsterdam nightclub roxy: *)
here's a mix cd under that name:
http://www.discogs.com/release/280642

i don't remember UR ever using the term (however, there
are plenty of UR releases you could file under the term
high-tech soul imho), they did however use the term
hi-tech funk (check the label of this release for instance:
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?what=R&obid=20055 )
m.i.a. - schoolcraft bump, to me is a perfect example of the
hi-tech funk sound.

*) derrick may (and others) spent a lot of time in amsterdam
in the early 90ies, and had close ties to both dimitri as well as
to another dutch dj named marcello (they even made a record
together on 100% pure (not derrick's best record imo) and
both get name checked in the sleeve note's to c2's
"landcruising" lp). derrick may probably played one or more
times on dimitri's night at the roxy.

jurren