From: "Fred Heutte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: (313) RIP James Brown

I grew up in Washington DC.  The influence of James Brown on
my city, and on me, is incalculable.

He had many ups and downs, but the music stands completely beyond.

One of my prized possessions is an obscure King Records 45
released for the Christmas season in late 1970: "Santa Claus Is
Definitely Here to Stay."  It was later put on a Christmas compilation
and is online here:

http://play.rhapsody.com/jamesbrown/funkychristmas/santaclausisdefinitelyheretostay?didAutoplayBounce=true

It was basically a radio station promo, though I don't remember
hearing it back then even though I was a total devotee of WOL
and WOOK, the great soul stations of the era in Washington.
Listening to it now, it really sums up the great human spirit of
this often misunderstood and flawed man.  When that record
came out, he had already been a recording artist for 16 years.
That was 36 years ago.

He did it all -- gospel, doo wop, ballads, soul, disco, pop and that
great string of funk tracks that defines an era and had phenomenal
influence worldwide -- sparking not only the funk bands of
the US but reggae, the many flavors of Afro-pop, go go, hip hop,
house and techno.  The vocal style, the band, the theatrical
flourishes, the athletic and the showmanship all mixed together, the
sound that reached for both the earth and the heavens -- bits
and pieces of it all went everywhere.  That's James Brown.

fh