First, I have to say I have this 2003 Derrick Carter album, and I
think it's really good, nice and deep, touches of acid, jack, detroit
techno ...
Derrick Carter  - Presents Tone Theory Vs. Oneiro - Poverty De Luxe
http://www.discogs.com/release/211334

Second, I do feel that there is some difference in the "Chicago acid"
sound and I do like the Chicago version better, mainly because I'm not
a big fan of overly squelchy/overdriven acid. In fact, my favorite
tracks would be "acid" tracks without 303, I guess they'd be called
Chicago jack tracks, or else tracks that use the 303 in a more subtle
or funky way (including old Plastikman!).

HOWEVER, though this might be a different style of acid, I've
DEFINITELY heard these kind of acid cuts from places other than
Chicago. And I've heard recent tracks that have this sound too. I'd
mention that I think that Ryan Elliott is good at playing this kind of
acid sound in his sets.

Fyi, You don't really hear that many Chicago jack tracks (or classic
acid) here in Chicago, I'm afraid. Most house is sort of generic diva
deep house here I guess, or else electrohouse which a lot of the club
house dj's play I think. Of course I don't go to many house nights
these days ...

Finally, can we leave the "soul" label out of it. To me, that's just a
word people use to claim the stuff they like is deeper/better than the
stuff they don't like. Perhaps I'm wrong though, but tell me, do you
consider much music you DISLIKE to have "soul"? The other definition
of "soul" might be, that it's more influenced by Afro-American music,
such as blues, jazz, r&b, motown, and the "soul" genre. This would
probably be true if you are talking about black guys from the Chicago
south side making house. But if the definition means this only that
music has an AfroAmerican influence, that doesn't make the music good.
There's plenty of bad/cliche music in all the genres I mentioned
above, and in music influenced by them.

~David