Well, perhaps you are generalising a bit too much Paul.

In my experience, the so-called 'dance scene' seems to be amongst the
most progressive and enlightened about the whole over-compression issue
*just judging from my own experience mind*, and seeing as you know at
least some of the music I like, you'll have a fair guess what I'm basing
my judgement on!

(I also notice that jazz records to tend to have exquisitely subtle
compression compared to chart stuff.)

For instance, whoever's familiar with the R&S back catalogue will
remember that virtually all that label's records and CDs could often
seem bafflingly 'quiet' - even right up to the final releases of the
late '90s-early 2000s.

In fact of course, rather than negligence, this was a case of a label
making a conscious decision to keep as much of the original dynamics of
the tracks as possible, by not engaging in more compression than was
strictly necessary. It was a good decision in my view. And as I say,
from what I can see, it's one which a lot of small 'electronic music'
labels seem to make too.

 (I haven't heard any of the recent R&S represses so I can't speak for
those.)

I could also cite the mp3s and FLACs from bleep.com as apparently being
reproduced from more tastefully-compressed masters than the norm, it
seems to me.

Ken