Mr.Mike nailed it on the head with that comment.
Detroit IS landlocked in many ways and for years the
people who live there have screamed for a well working
public transit system. The people who continue to
travel around the world bring back as much cultural
soundbites as they can- but it can only go so far with
out inner-circle political support.

 I remember the excitement when that big company from
Africa was supposed to restore the train station and
put in a super train. It not happening was
disheartening. Seriously, what would it take for a
train from Detroit to Ann Arbor or to Lansing and
Grand Rapids? Perhaps a swallowing of egos, which is a
big price. Or let's just start with a good bus system.
Actually, let's just start with properly plowing ALL
Detroit roads...no matter what street you live on.

 Today a bunch of men in Detroit will decide whether
or not they close an auto plant in Delaware. Yes, it
isn't Michigan but just imagine taking those
unemployed and hiring them to put together a big-three
train...for their bosses to think outside of the box
and FINALLY catch up to the worker-to-boss
philosophies that propel their foreign competitors.
(btw a close family member was one of the lead
white/blue collar mediators for EDS for the Saturn
project whose ideas are based on the Japanese way of
automaking)

 I'm at a point in my life where I'm deciding where to
settle down. I have thought many times about moving
back to Michigan. However the dropping economy (which
started declining over 5 years ago), the poor school
systems and the "land wickedness" as Mad Mike calls it
what will continue to keep me, and others, from moving
back.More power to the people that stay and continue
to believe in and put their energy to Detroit.

good for him.however it's nothing new.
ps. sorry for the bad spelling and grammar.

--- robin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It would be great if the people mover actually moved
> people places. It
> looks ace.
>
> http://www.thepeoplemover.com/
>
> robin...
>
> Toby Frith wrote:
> > This line I thought was the most pertinent in the
> whole interview.
> >
> > "We need our city and manufacturing leaders to
> travel overseas and to realize what
> > Mass Transit means to a city. We don`t have it and
> we have land locked communities,
>  > with land locked thoughts and values. There is no
> interaction unless
> you have the
> > luxury of a car which a lot of people can`t
> afford. The situation is grey."

Have a burning question?