On 2/13/07, David Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes. Until the birth of electronic music, most music was NOT created
by just an individual.

sure, but if every musical decision was made by group decision, would
these things have happened? there's always someone who steps out of
line with everything else and just does their own thing. as far as
modern music, it cant just be coincidence how many times that has
happened with american music. hiphop, soul, blues, funk, disco, house,
techno, electro, rock and roll, punk, jazz, the list can go on and on.

Take any great jazz group (for me, the classic groups of Thelonius
Monk, Miles Davis, or John Coltrane) and you will find that the
individuality of the players is expressed in such a way that it
complements the what is being expressed by the group as a whole.
Individual identity only emerges through group interaction - perhaps
such a process could properly be called "dialectical".

what about monk's solo work? or any number of jazz band leaders who
dictated what was gonna happen? people had to submit to someone's
personal ideas about music. individuality expressed through a group
setting!

And in classical/orchestral music, great classical composers might
have heard amazing, totally original music in their heads, but getting
the music performed required convincing some hapless musicians that
the music was worth learning and performing.

but it still was rooted in one person's mind. it was not a collective
writing process.

Only with electronic music, is it possible to get rid of the group and
create without consideration for others. This is probably a double
edged sword. I'm glad I can make my own CD with only a cheap $50
computer, especially considering I've written a string quartet that
has never been performed, that is just sitting in a box in my closet.
But collective music making is a very rewarding experience, and I
often miss it these days.

im not saying its the only way, but it is a valid way that wouldnt
come about if people were only worried about pleasing groups of
people.

tom