on 2/16/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I know last year quite a number of people were also upset with some of the
acts (myself included).
I'm aware of the lack of Detroit artists outside the Paxahau
minimal/tech-house sound that were booked.
When the line-up was announced last year I was gutted because I felt that
out of all the years that the festival has been going - 2006 was the least
representative of Detroit.

I hate to say this, but I really think this attitude is a bit
prejudiced towards the younger generations of talent in Detroit, and a
bit naive about what the Detroit scene is really like now. Last year
was more inclusive of younger labels and promoters in Detroit, than
any other festival. Most of the old big Detroit names aren't that
active in Detroit!

Last year was in some was the MOST representative of what the Detroit
scene is actually like - not the scene as people wish it was, but the
electronic scene as it actually is. It also was a reasonable attempt
to make a very broad line up. There were tons of house DJ's last year
I personally wouldn't want to see, but I don't have a problem with
their inclusion. Anyway, offhand I saw the following Detroit artists
were included, all of whom one could claim are somewhat old school
(not including many of the younger ones who got to play, which I think
was actually great):
Mike Clark, Robert Hood, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Carl Craig,
Mike Huckaby, Daniel Bell, Richie Hawtin, Minx

That's a pretty significant representation of artists who helped
define the Detroit sound. My only gripe would be that UR wasn't
represented, but they did have a huge gig there the year before and
lots of representation, so I don't see that as a big deal, unless it
turns out they continue to be absent in the future. There's also a
significant Chicago representation from some pretty deserving house
DJ's (and shouldn't Chicago be represented, too?!)... Even if it's not
my sound sometimes, I think they deserve to play.

Anyway, my overall point is, Paxahau has a job, and that is to try to
make a lineup that works for the people WHO ACTUALLY ATTEND FESTIVALS,
and to break even! The festival will die if they don't achieve that,
and last year they did. Nobody else has pulled it off. Would you
rather the festival die?

Also, I know you are in the US, but many from "across the sea" seem to
expect a line up that is something they want to fly over for. The
problem is, that is not what most people in the US want to see, many
artists that Europeans get to see all the time, we don't get to see
here often at all. On the other hand, people in the Detroit area who
are heads probably have seen local guys a lot.

Finally, everybody knows the afterparties are what define the
festival, and I think that there were plenty of fun parties last year
of all kinds, for any Detroit artists you wanted to see, and much
more. The festival is MUCH MORE than just the day events!

Well, I'm going to play in Detroit tomorrow night with Kero from
Detroit Underground at Forans (complete with some ridiculously nice
sound system brought in special for the show).

So while you all are busy arguing about Detroit, I'll be busy rocking
it!!! Detroit Rock City woohoo!!! ;-)

~David