ryan burns wrote:

> i was reading through the Smallfish web site and they had a quick interwiew
> with dan bell, he gave a top 10 and the first track was Lil Louis " Journey
> with the Lonely'...can anyone tell me more info on this...i cant find any
> info on it...

In a nutshell: one of the best dance music albums ever released.

In a bigger nutshell: released in 1992 on FFRR, this album was way ahead
of its time. When most dance music 'albums' that were released around
that time were simply a collection of tracks (sometimes a very good
collection, but just a collection nonetheless), Lil Louis released an
*ALBUM*.

It's hard to call it a house album as there's so much variety on the
album, yet it all makes perfect sense when you listen to it. There's the
irresistable groove of the opening track 'Club Lonely' with the
hilarious sketch at the start: "...Miss Thing...there is no guestlist
toniiiiiiiiiight!". Next is 'New Dance Beat' with the eerily prophetic
pessimistic vocals "...record company recession, dancefloor boredom, and
copymachines spit out song after song..." only to bounce back with a
positive note on '(Music) Saved my life', followed by 'Aaahhhhh!', a
deep, dark grooving track with a similar sexual tension that made
'French Kiss' so great.

The album then transforms itself gradually with tracks like 'Do U luv
me' and 'You're my reason', eventually going straight into jazz/soul/r&b
territory with 'Dancing in my sleep', 'Funny how u luv' and two
beautiful ballads (!) 'Thief' and 'Share' that make you wonder where
today's r&b ballads took a wrong turn...

And then you get to the last track.

'Jazzmen'.

Talk about a glorious finish to an album! Think 'Jaguar' and you've got
the idea...
In seven minutes, Lil Louis manages to set a standard for house music
that Masters at Work and Joe Claussell are still trying to match. And
those of you that know how much I love my NY house know I don't say this
lightly.

It's a shame that this album didn't get the recognition it so rightly
deserved when it was released, probably because the second half of the
album had a lot of people scratching their heads in surprise. I think
it's a brilliant album though (as if you hadn't guessed already), not
just because of the variety of styles, but especially because -even with
all the different styles- it still works as a coherent album. The fact
that 8 years later none of the tracks have lost any of their groove and
feeling is testimony to that. File under 'timeless classic'.

Otto