Technology doesn't need to be new, timely, scientific, or even instrumental.
True, those are common conceptions of what the word means. But when asked
what technology is, what the essence of technology is, or what the
prerequisites for a technological thing are, I'm willing to bet that most
can't give answers (and if they can there is probably going to be quite a
bit of disagreement).

'Technology' is derived from the greek 'technikon'. Technikon refers to that
which belongs to techne. Techne is, essentially, a way to know things.

In "The Question Concerning Technology", Martin Heidegger shows how
technology is more a mode of perception and understanding than it is an
adjective for the new or instrumental. He isn't alone in this line of
thought. To name a few others, Walter Benjamin (The Work of Art in the Age
of Mechanical Reproduction), Jean Baudrillard (Simulacra and Simulation (the
Matrix draws a lot from this book)), and even Aldous Huxley (Brave New
World) seem to think that technology refers not to objects around us, but
the way we understand those objects, other people, and in general the world
around us.

Here is an interesting link for those interested in the interplay of
"technology" and society: www.ctheory.com

Cheers,

joshua hill