On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Cyclone Wehner wrote:

> I'm not an expert but.... it is fairly conservative but in a good way. Some
> say NAACP lost its relevance to younger people as hip-hop blew up. It was
> also seen as more middle-class at a time when class is conceivably dividing
> African-Americans.

it's been conservative for a longggggg time.  kicked out dubois back in
the thirties for advocating that black people should form economic
cooperatives.  got rid of a president in north carolina (robert williams)
who had the "audacity" to arm naacp'ers against terrorists.

> By 'image' they mean inspirational to the community - especially the
> African-American community. It would have to be done by building up the
> profile of musicians in the Black media, like Vibe for a start, and really
> explaining their contribution as wider America does not understand.

yep.  to a certain extent i can understand why one would think that may
and atkins should be getting props from something like the naacp.  even
though i have problems with the ideology of the organization i was happy
they gave aaron macgruder (creator of THE BOONDOCKS) an award.

but if i saw them give an award to someone for electronic music...i think
i'd check to make sure my heart was on the right side.  because otherwise
i'd be pretty sure i was in Earth 2 rather than Earth Prime.

peace
lks