Anybody in the UK see 'Room 101' on BBC2 last night? For those that don't
know it, the show is all about well-known people talking about their pet
hates in an effort to persuade the presenter (Paul Merton) to consign them
to oblivion in the imaginary Room 101.

Anyway, last night John Peel was the guest celebrity and at one stage he was
talking about - and I forget why - beards. What he said went something like
this (from memory):

"Usually I look much better with a beard, but there's a terrible photo of
me, which I think I have the only copy of, fortunately. You see, there's a
wonderful DJ called Jeff Mills and last year I was at a festival in
Barcelona - Sonar, it's called, a dance music thing - and I had my photo
taken with my arm round Jeff's shoulders. He's quite a short man, you see.
But I'd had a few drinks and somehow my beard looked so dishevelled that in
the photo I look like some kind of sex tourist with my arm round my latest
'find'. I look like I'm about to say something like 'Look at the little
poppet I picked up!'"

Well, it made me laugh anyway.