Ms Harris speaking on institutionalized oppression, liking juan atkins and
listening to mojo on the radio...how spooky is this?

*freaked*

-k

Racism is a system of insitutionalized discrimination against one group by
another.

Under this system in America white skin and whiteness is accorded certain
priveiliges.

It comes from a historical precedent set by North American chattel slavery
where whites owned so called "black" people.

The Civil Rights Movement was about African-Americans earning their rights to
be treated as full citizens of a country we continue to build.

Juan Atkins is African-American. His decisions can not affect the lives of
whole groups of people thus he can not be a "racist."

Ever heard of Cornel West? bell hooks? Manning Marable? Martin Luther King?
Michael Eric Dyson??

Or how about Screamin' Jay Hawkins? Ike Turner? Wyonnie Harris? Little
RIchard or my personal favorite Jimi Hendrix?

My name is not "buddy" it's Tamara and if you have a problem with me you can
address me by Ms. Harris.

Apparently some people on this list need to go back to Reading Comprehension
101 and re-read Juan's interview. And it also sounds like many people here
need to do some "Black" (because this a social construct people are named by
their geographies although in the '60's the term was appropriated) and
"white" history studies of the United States.

I can not say that I like Juan Atkins because I don't know him personally but
I do love his music.

I have been a fan of Detroit Techno since I heard "Cosmic Car" as a kid
listening to the radio and Mojo.

Tamara Harris