----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 6:17 AM
Subject: [313] Techno on local radio

> I remember Kiss FM back in 1991, when there were both Colin Faver *and*
> Colin Dale - two evenings of techno a week! It was like manna from heaven
> for my 15-year-old ears... and it's a shame that it's not on Kiss anymore,
> but that's just the way terrestrial radio is going.

It's a distant memory in the US as well. Most college radio stations in the
US have included at least one dance music specialty show in their lineups
since at least the 80s, and this was precisely what drew me in to
house/techno, and DJing. I lived near and worked for one of the highest
rated college radio stations in the US from '92-'97, and I can tell you our
funding was completely inadequate to reach a broad audience. We transmitted
at 100 Watts, which had a broadcast range of approximately 10-15 miles
depending on the weather. We had an extremely devoted General Manager at one
point who attempted to increase our transmission range to reach the next
largest audience of approximately 130,000 people, 25 miles away. We were
able to secure funding to afford a transmitter to broadcast that distance,
but the FCC licensing fees for broadcasting for greater distance were
prohibitively high.

So... we wound up with a very powerful transmitter and the same tranmission
radius. Six years later, they still have not been able to raise the funds to
acquire the new license. And again, we were one of the the best funded, most
highly regarded college radio stations in the US, and the first college
radio station in the US to go digital. We were the 2nd largest student
organization at a university of 30,000 students, but when a Big 10 college
football team can generate so much more national exposure for the
university, it's no wonder that a non-commercial radio station will lack the
support to reach a wide audience. The rules on retaining that non-commercial
staus allow some flexibility to generate revenue through underwriting, as
opposed to advertising, but at that point you are inherently marketing to a
small business audience at small business prices. Simply put, it is the FCC
that has allowed college radio's continued existence in the low bandwidth
range of our dials, but it's very unlikely that college radio will reach a
wide audience if licensing for transmitting greater distances remain so
high. And given the recent attempts at killing NPR, I'd say that is not the
direction things are headed in.

None of this really considers profit motives at state-run universities,
which is whole different ball of wax. This impact is so great that the
University of Iowa has even considered privatizing itself. And none of this
touches on the FCC's strict crackdown on pirate radio in the mid-90s.

All this said, I considered myself extremely lucky to have worked for
http://www.uiowa.edu~krui  Visiting staff from other colleges would drool at
our professional mixing board, production studio, staff offices, record
archives, and even the transmission range I was complaining about above.
That I was allowed to maintain an underground dance music radio show for
five years running, continuing a legacy and leaving my own is nearly
miraculous in its own right. College radio has been the only salvation on
American airwaves for some time now for the devoted audiences that tune in.
Most kids start their musical education by flipping the dial, be it radio or
television. Without college radio, things might be more bleak than they are
now. Wiht few exceptions, public access television does not appeal to a
younger audience.

Laura Gavoor has oft noted the impact of major corporate ownership on
American radio. Andrew Duke also had some great posts on this topic a while
back. He's still running that radio station in Halifax, still organizing his
annual fundraisers. :) Searching the archives may prove instructive.

Tristan
Upcoming Gigs:
3/16/02 - Centripetal Force @ The Edge, DC
4/6/02 - The Basics @ The Abyss, DC